Question:
How can I keep my gmail account name from being exposed on outgoing e-mail?
1970-01-01 00:00:00 UTC
How can I keep my gmail account name from being exposed on outgoing e-mail?
Four answers:
2016-03-01 08:42:35 UTC
It's commonly used as character names in video games. I've had a Jezebel or two on WoW or SWTOR :P
mark e
2009-09-02 09:10:31 UTC
you can set a "from:" email setting to show your "from" being any address.

Gmail does not offer this.
Jim R
2009-09-02 09:04:22 UTC
Go into Gmail and change your signature settings. I don't have access to my gmail account at the moment to check but thats the most likely place for the fix to be located.
climbinguprocks
2009-09-02 10:50:02 UTC
Open your Gmail and navigate to SETTINGS top left on main Gmail screen.

Next choose the ACCOUNTS AND IMPORTS.

Second down from the top is SEND MAIL AS.

That's where you want to change things. Here is what you will get from choosing Learn More.

Gmail's custom 'From:' feature lets you use Gmail to send messages with another of your email addresses listed as the sender in place of your Gmail address. This way, it's easier to manage multiple accounts from the Gmail interface. The custom 'From:' feature works only if you already own the alternate address as part of a separate account. To send mail with a different Gmail username, you must first sign up for that address. Select an option below for instructions on how to set this up.

1. Sign in to Gmail.

2. Click Settings and select the Accounts tab.

3. Under Send mail as, click Add another email address.

4. In the 'Email address' field, enter your name and alternate email address.

5. Choose one of two options:

* Use Gmail's servers to send your mail (this is easier to set up)

* Use your other email provider's SMTP servers (we recommend this option for professional mail accounts or domains). Note for Google Apps users: Depending on your domain type, this feature may be disabled by default. Talk to your administrator if you have any questions.

If you choose to use Gmail's servers:

6. Click Next Step >> and then click Send Verification. Gmail will send a verification message to your other email address to confirm that you own it.

7. Open your other account and either click the link in the message Gmail sent or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Gmail settings.

Your Gmail address will still be included in your email header's sender field, to help prevent your mail from being marked as spam. Most email clients don't display the sender field, though some versions of Microsoft Outlook may display "From yourusername@gmail.com on behalf of customaddress@mydomain.com." For this reason, if you don't want 'on behalf of' to appear in any of your messages, we recommend using the SMTP servers of your other email provider.

If you choose to send mail through another domain's SMTP servers:

6. Enter the SMTP server (e.g. smtp.domain.com), your username on that domain, and your password for that account. You may also need to adjust your port setting or SSL setting (talk to your other ISP if you need this information).

7. Click Add account >>

8. Open your other account and either click the link in the message Gmail sent or enter the confirmation code in the Accounts section of your Gmail settings.

Please note that your other email provider must provide authenticated SMTP support in order for you to use this option. We'll use TLS by default, or SSL if you enable it. Many email services that provide POP or IMAP support also offer authenticated SMTP support, and you can likely find your SMTP server configuration instructions alongside information about POP or IMAP. Also, this new version of custom 'From:' doesn't work with Yahoo! Mail Plus accounts just yet, but we've reached out to Yahoo! to try to get it working.

Good luck!